March 30, 2013

As a whole, religion is where the majority of irony and hypocrisy happens in humanity.  That is because most people don't want any honesty with their religion.  They only want to focus on the parts of their religion that makes them feel good and like they're the ones with the right religion.  They tend to gloss over the parts of their religion that isn't so shiny and pretty.

Among Christians, there is a mindset that 'God = Love'.  These kinds of Christians are being dishonest about what their own religious document teaches them about their god.  Here are a couple examples, as told by scripture, which debunks the belief that the bible god is love:

  • Isaiah 45:7 "I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the Lord do all these things."
  • Malachi: 1:2-3 "I have loved you, saith the Lord. Yet ye say, Wherein hast thou loved us? Was not Esau Jacob's brother? saith the Lord: yet I loved Jacob, And I hated Esau, and laid his mountains and his heritage waste for the dragons of the wilderness."
In their hypocrisy, these Christians will say that these were the righteous actions of a righteous God, who owes no explanation or justification to anyone.  A leader always owes an explanation and a justification for his actions to those who follow them.  If they will offer neither, they are a tyrant.  Tyrants aren't loving.  They only love power, and do not care who they have to step over, walk on, or destroy, to gain and/or keep their power.

These Christians also claim that 'Jesus = Love'.  I again offer scripture which describes someone who is not the embodiment of love:
  • Matthew 10:33-35 "But whosoever shall deny me before men, him will I also deny before my Father which is in heaven.  Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword.  For I am come to set a man at variance against his father, and the daughter against her mother, and the daughter in law against her mother in law."
A loving person does not employ a sword.  A loving person does not seek to cause strife in a family.  A loving person wants there to be peace on earth.  What then, shall the reasonable and logical mind think of the Jesus that uses a sword, causes strife in a family, and doesn't strive to bring peace on earth?

I'm not here to try and rip away someone's religion.  If that's what gives them a sense of purpose in their lives, then they are free to keep it.  All I'm asking is for you to have some honesty in your religion, and be able to admit it's not all the 'sunshine and flowers' that you make it out to be.

Footnote: All scriptures are from the King James Version and were found over at BilbleGateway.

0 comments:

Who Is This?

Where To Go?

What Did I Say?

What Are The Issues?

Where Am I Found?

Won't You Feed Me?

Who Said Something?

Does It Translate?